Thursday 3 June 2004

For a really long time, I had wanted to be a part of the corporate world - the big board meetings, the fast-paced environment, working with executives and managers making decisions that would impact many people...

I dreamt of being a part of an organisation that was practically living and breathing, moving on its own momentum. I imagined owning a fast car, living in a penthouse apartment...practically living the high life.

Maybe it's just my general world-weary cynicism. Maybe it's simply because I'm sick of my job. Or it could be that I'm just plain lazy.

I am now a part of the living, breathing organisation. And although I am most certainly not living the high life or even anywhere near it, I come in constant contact with people who are almost there. And I realise I do not want the life I thought I wanted, if I have to pay the price they did.

Coming to work at 9 in the morning, then staying till close to midnight during weekdays. Having to come back to work during the weekends, or even during public holidays. An in-tray that's never empty. The constant pressure to perform or risk losing your job. Having to deal with office politics. Surviving in the cut-throat, dog-eat-dog of a world. Running the rat race....

No thank you. There is more to life than that.

They may have their fast cars. They may have their penthouse apartment. But how much time do they actually have to enjoy it? The office has become their house. Why the need for luxurious living when one's life has practically been sold to the company?

I will not deny the fact that I would love to lead a luxurious lifestyle, but more importantly, I want meaning in my life. I want a life not sold to my work, unless it is work that is sold to God.

So give me my simple apartment. Give me my public transport. Give me my friends who care and love me with no hidden agendas. Give me my Levi's. Give me my foodcourt meals. Give me a life where I can come home to my family, to my candlelit room, to my novels, to my writing, to my photography, to my craftwork, to my little artistic indulgences.

Give me my time with God who will in turn give me everything I've ever wanted - peace, happiness and contentment.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...