Wednesday 14 July 2004

My mobile started ringing at 4.50am this morning.

Reaching for it and forcing my eyes open, I see an unidentified number on my caller ID. I promptly hung up. (Fanja and Anca forgive me).

A few minutes later, it started ringing again. After realising that it could be an overseas call (hey, it was 5am, my mind works at half the speed at 5am) I picked up the call.

Me: "mmmmm...."
Caller: "Hi, is that Melody?"
Me: "mmmmm...."
Caller: silently whispering "1, 2" and then a loud chorus "Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to Melody, Happy Birthday to you."
Me: "awwwww...soh schweet...."
Fanja & Anca: "Mel, are you awake? What time is it?"
Me: "Fiiiiveeee"
Anca: "Oh, Fanja said it was 6. I'm so sorry..."
(Me wondering - would it really make a difference if it were 6, especially since they know I'm no where near a morning person. Yes, I'm grumpy when I'm woken from my sleep.)

After about 3 minutes of me mumbling something incoherant and them telling me really sweet things like that I need to make sure I have fun because if I were with them in England they would make sure I enjoyed myself, they realised the conversation was not going to work. With a final goodbye and love-yous, we hung up. I turned over and went back to sleep.

My phone went off again. This time it was a text message from another friend in England.

The feeling that I am missed and not forgotten, that even though I'm halfway across the world in a totally different timezone is not making a difference, that I have such wonderful and dear friends who bother to make contact with me and wish me a happy birthday touches me.

And sensing a wave of protests from my dear friends in Singapore, I feel loved here too. Even before my day started, I have already received several birthday wishes. And I am touched that the time I've spent away has not seem to dilute our friendship. That I have friends who make an effort, wanting to celebrate my birthday with me.

Today is a great day. Not because I've grown OLD-er, but because I feel incredibly affirmed and love. That my friends whom I hold extremely dear to my life, love and care for me. That despite my warts and all, I still have a group of people who will stand by me and support me.

That I am so loved by my family that my mother hugs me tight and wishes me a happy birthday in the morning.

That I have a brother who shows his love for me in strange warped way, slapping my stomach, insulting me and wishing me happy birthday all at the same time.

And most of all, that I have a God who is in charge of my life and who will never let me go.

I honestly feel blessed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...