Monday 9 July 2007

Went to watch As it is in Heaven yesterday and that was when I realised why this movie is still showing in the cinemas even though it was released about three years ago.

A story about the loss and gain of trust. A story about the secrets we hide. A story about how we relate to religion and God. A simple heartwarming story about people and the things that bind us together.

I was frustrated that the abused wife could do nothing to escape her husband's beatings.

I was exasperated that the villagers turned a blind eye to it all.

I was sitting at the edge of my seat when I knew a relationship was going to develop between the lead guy and his "student", a relationship most certainly to be frowned upon.

I was shocked when the pastor transformed from being God's holy man to someone with hidden secrets like any one of us.

I was touched by the bond that developed between a group of choir members and their choir master.

I wanted to cheer when they gathered together to protect the abused wife from her husband.

And I was tearing up by the end of the movie, when the lead guy resolves his childhood trauma of being bullied and experiences life as it is in heaven.

I really do like foreign films.

I was also surprised to find out that one of the actresses was actually Helen Sjoholm, a Swedish singer whose CD I had purchased years ago when I was in the country visiting a friend.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...