Wednesday 22 July 2009

Dangerous faith

We interrupt the holiday highlights broadcast to bring you this special article that I just came across today.
"I believe Jesus died on the cross and I'm saved by grace alone. I believe in Creation and Jesus' death and resurrection. I believe the Bible is God's eternal message to us. But let's say I'm wrong. Let's say it's just a myth. What have I lost? Nothing. I've lived a life of meaning and purpose. I wouldn't want to live my life any other way."

That opening sentence caught my attention immediately as that has exactly been my rationalisation over the years.

What is there to lose, even if God doesn't exist?

But then came the challenge:
Is my faith really only ankle deep? Am I just hedging my bets, hoping for the best? Or do I honestly believe in Jesus Christ with all my heart, soul and mind?

And it's true.

There is the nagging feeling that if I could even come up with that rationalisation, hidden somewhere deep inside of me is the little niggling doubt that hey, maybe God isn't real.

Surely my belief in God needs to be stronger than that.

1 comment:

kris said...

unless God reveals himself physically to you and a few friends (so you know your not crazy) i believe that God allows a little room for doubt. It helps us to continue to challenge our own thinking and creates new wrinkles in our brain (which is a good thing).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...