This was in theory meant to be a pretty quick knit. All I really had to do was knit a few rows of garter stitches in the round, move on to stockinette and then proceed to decrease. The ear flaps are then added afterwards.
However, there were a few hiccups:
- Between uni and work, I was finding it really hard to garner up enough motivation to finish it. So what would have taken a couple of weeks at the most ended up taking a couple of months.
- My DPns were not quite long enough to hold all the stitches, so it was quite fiddly trying to ensure the stitches didn't fall off while I was knitting (a few did fall off in the end, I simply tied knots on the inside to ensure they didn't unravel).
- I misread the pattern somehow when I finally had some holidays from uni and was visiting D's sister's family in Tassie. Our flight home was delayed because of the Chilean ash cloud. Luckily, we were flying Virgin, so we had no flight cancellation, only a delay because of some heavy fog cover, which meant ample knitting time. As a result of misreading the pattern however, I ended up knitting more rows than needed (the time I took to knit up those extra unwanted rows could probably have been used to finish it).
- I didn't realise I had misread the pattern while on a long car ride and continued to add to the rows. It wasn't until a friend mentioned that the beanie looked like it was complete that I decided to take a long hard look at the beanie and that was when I discovered it was simply going to be ginormous. And so began the joyful task of unpicking.
So discounting the mistakes and the fact that the beanie may be a touch too big circumference-wise, it was a really easy and quick knit. I can definitely see myself making more of these beanies.
"Kim's Hats" pattern from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts