Wednesday 1 June 2005

she asks, I obey.

Introducing the Literati Baton...

1) Total number of books I’ve owned:
Do you ask a writer how many pens he owns? Do you ask Imelda Marcos how many pairs of shoes she owns? How am I supposed to answer this question when I buy books more often than I buy clothes, shoes or CDs?

2) The last book I bought:
The last real book I bought was The New Australian & New Zealand Public Relations Manual. For work. But that's boring stuff.

The last book I bought for leisure reading were actually three books. It was on a 3 for $50 special, I couldn't resist!

Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson - brings back fond memories of my year in England
Almost French by Sarah Turnbull - spending that one week in Paris with Kristin made me want to be almost French myself!
The third book...well...tells you how significant it is when I've forgotten what it is. Hey, it was 3 for $50! I had to find a third book!!

3) The last book I read:
The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett - after reading his books in a completely random and haphazard way, the anal-retentive in me has called out to me to read them in the sequence they were published. For anyone looking for satire, British humour and utter brilliance, Pratchett's your man.

4) 5 books that mean a lot to me:
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families by Philip Gourevitch - great journalism work that brought out the activist in me. It's not an easy read, not because of the writing style but because of the topic it was dealing with. Makes one realise just how complacent we have all become, sitting in our homes on our soft comfy couches, while genocide, suffering and human rights atrocities goes on in other countries.

The Bible by God - I'll admit I don't read it all that often, and when I do, it's usually only a couple of chapters at a time. But I have this to say about it. Everytime that I do open it, it speaks to me and comforts me in a way that nothing ever can.

Syrup by Max Barry - laugh out funny. This guy is brilliant in presenting marketing, public relations and capitalism from a whole new perspective. He does satire really well and criticises society as we know it in a way without us even realising it. He opened up my eyes to the industry I'm working in. And maybe I'm a little more cynical thanks to him, but I'm not complaining.

The Chronicles of Narnia
by CS Lewis - a children's classic that I only got to know at age 22. Who would have thought one could marry fantasy and Christianity? CS Lewis successfully created a world that would have rivalled Middle-earth. His writings are a source of inspiration to me. Entertaining on one level, but extremely deep, profound and full of analogies if read from a Christian perspective. There are so many lessons and so many layers one can find from Narnia which slowly reveals itself one at a time everytime one reads it.

Nightwatch by Terry Prattchet - the first book that introduced me to the magical, strange and completely random Discworld.

5) Tag 5 people and have them fill this out on their blogs:
the X facta
Where is the Justice?
I am QUEEN
The Sharona Tree
Idas thoughts

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

speed reading blogs have funny results

spending that one week in Paris with Kristin made me want to be almost French myself!

became

made me almost want to French myself

I love PRATCHETT!!!!

you know i like this literati meme. it's opened a whole new world to me. Unlike Christon, I can't go to the library and just randomly pick up a book. I need to be enticed, excited, sold on it by a real life person.

my next intended purchase will be Magic or Madness, thanks to daphne

although now I'm tempted to find Syrup instead.

OH! I am going to come up with a Literati Birthday List! That gives everyone 2 more months to save money and get me all the books I could ever want! Yeah!

Melody said...

er...didn't I lend you Syrup??

Kel said...

Yes ma'am! All done at www.xfacta.blogspot.com
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...