Tuesday 7 June 2005

my driving instructor cancelled our 7.15am lesson this morning, and so I find myself sitting in front of the computer at the cockroach prison, er, Nurses' Residence at 6.40am checking emails and updating my blog.

I could go back to sleep, but it would probably mean I would end up being late for work...

Anyway, I just finished reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and it is such a brilliant book!

Thought Terry Pratchett was random? Douglas Adams is ten times worse, or better, depending on how you look at it.

Who else would be able to pull together a book that consisted of two humans (one having more or less left Earth a long time ago, the other a true blue Englishman with great lines), a two-headed absolutely ditzy completely narcissistic President of the Galaxy (called Zaphod Beeblebrox, no less), a slightly off-balanced alien who had been stuck on Earth for five years because nobody else from the Galaxy ever passes through an area marked as "dull" and my all-time favourite...a manic-depressive robot full of cutting sarcasm.

If you like control, it may be a better idea not to pick up the book. Just when you think you are understanding where the book is going, it takes off on another tangent that leaves you hanging in the air.

But if you like good old British humour, if you like Prattchet at all (I'm looking at you Faith), and if you would like a really good laugh, HHG is your book. Just remember to leave your logic behind for a while.

And you may even realise where the Wachowski brothers got their idea for the Matrix from...

And speaking of movies, I did catch the movie version of HHG and I have to say, I am impressed.

Not often am I impressed by movies that are based on books. But I guess with a story this random, it's not hard to stick to the "facts", so to speak.

There are many aspects of the movie that are not in the book. There are even added storylines and changed sequences. And yet, at the same time, these changes made the movie work. The changes enhanced the story and gave it a pace that would entertain an audience more used to Hollywood movies than English humour.

The movie is not quite the book coming to live. But it certainly presented the essence of it well.

So yes, read the book. Watch the movie. It's worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes! i am going to get the book as well his other ones! u know what? i'm thinking for my birthday, i'll come up with a book list... and ppl can give me books! instead of cracking their brains as to what to get me. books books books!

Anonymous said...

The movie completely misses the point.. Try the original radio shows (the scripts of which the books are based off) for the *real* Adams genius :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...