Monday 6 December 2004

do people actually care or listen in this country?

I could have been sprawled on the floor of the train this morning, half-dead and foaming at my mouth and I doubt anybody would have bothered to help me. Surreptiously walk to another corner, more likely.

About 15 minutes into my journey on the train to work this morning, I was suddenly hit by a pang of general unease. My heart start racing (and believe me, it had nothing to do with the flamboyant entrance of a stunning specimen of the male species), my head started spinning, my stomach started aching, I thought I was going to throw up and I was doubled over thinking I was going to die.

For some unexplained reason, I was unable to breathe properly and all I wanted to do was to curl up in a feotal position.

Strangely enough though, despite feeling so uncomfortable, one part of my mind was wondering how long it would take for people to take notice of a person dying. Obviously, far too long. I could jolly well have been a decomposing heap of rotten flesh with flies buzzing around and nobody would have thought twice about calling in the police, or some crime scene investigators.

Honestly, I looked around, and people were either asleep or staring into space in a direction other than at me. Singaporeans give others far too much privacy it seems.

On another note, I just got a phonecall from some fellow looking for my uncle who uses our address and phone number for correspondence (the reason why is too long to explain).

Guy: Hi, I'm calling from NTUC Income, can I speak to Mr Tan Hock Lai?
Me: Actually, he doesn't live with us, can I help you with anything?
Guy: Yes, I'm from NTUC Income, I would like to speak to him.
Me: Ok, but I can't put you in contact with him at the moment because he's not here.
Guy: Oh, do you have his mobile number or office number or something?
Me: I don't, but my mom does and she's not here at the moment. Maybe I can take a message?
Guy: Erm, do you know him?
Me: Yes, he is my uncle. What is this regarding?
Guy: We just wanted to ask him if he received a letter from us regarding combined funds.
Me: I'm sorry, but maybe my mom would know.
Guy: That's why I think it's better to talk to him. Can you give me his mobile number?
Me: Look, I don't have his mobile number. My mom does and she's at work. Do you want to call her?
Guy: Is 62xxxxxx Mr Tan's office number? I can call there.
Me: I don't know!
Guy: Maybe I can call him later tonight when he comes home from work?
Me: I told you, he doesn't live here! He just uses our address for correspondence!
Guy: Ok fine, that's alright. Bye.

What is wrong with these people?!?!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...