Sunday 17 April 2005

Streaky Bay. Population 1,000.

A real beautiful little coastal town though. In fact, since I arrived on Friday night, we’ve been having gorgeous coastal scenes, passing through really nice beaches.

My arrival into Ceduna was a once in a lifetime one. Flew into Adelaide from Sydney. Met up with Jess, daughter of one of the riders, at the Adelaide airport. She was on the phone when they made the “first and final” boarding call. As she didn’t get off the phone fast enough, I had the pleasure of having my name called out over the airport PA system, informing me that my “fellow passengers” were waiting for me.

While walking on the tarmac to the plane, spotted one of the small 34 seater planes I took from Newcastle to Gold Coast. Assumed that was our plane until we passed it without stopping, and what came into view was probably the smallest commercial plane in the world.

It only sat 20 people, I literally had a window and aisle seat all at the same time, and once in the plane, one could not stand up straight at all. There were no overhead baggage compartments and hardly any space under the seat in front of me. Most amazingly, I could look right into the cockpit and have a pilot’s eye view of the entire flight. The plane was that small.

The Ceduna Airport was a little wooden shack, and the baggage carousel…well…this guy walked with this trolley towards the plane, unloaded the luggage and dragged them to this waiting area for us to claim our bags.

Talk about small country towns.

The weather has gotten much cooler now…the jackets are all coming out. Much more beautiful views and break stops here though, what with being right by the coast. Still rather dry however.

The days have been pretty easy so far. Late starts of about 8am, and riding into towns at a reasonable hour. Pace will pick up soon though…

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...