Monday 13 February 2006

Ah...tis good to have your own home that isn't just a room in the dorms...

I'm still trying to settle into the beauty of not having to share a bathroom with ten thousand other girls and a kitchen with ten million cockroaches. It's gorgeous.

Granted, there were still a lot of things to sort out - cleaning the flat for one.

The apartment honestly looked like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks, if not months. I had to wipe away layers of dust off the interior of the flat, caked up dirt and soil from the windows and window-sills (the glass of the windows have even turned brown from lack of cleaning), spend hours wiping the extremely dirty and brown looking blinds, battle all sorts of living organisms and cocoons (I have no idea how many times I screamed)...it was shocking and left me amazed that I hadn't died after living in such filth for the last week.

Della reminded me that I should have taken photos of my squalid living conditions, but in my strange and unexplained desire to live in cleaniness, I forgot, so I'll leave it to your imaginations to conjure up the picture.

I mean, I still have cobwebs on some of the walls and bugs living on the ceiling. Buying cleaning detergents like toilet cleaner, anti-mould removal and multi-purpose cleaner yesterday left me delirious with joy.

And it's funny how pedantic you get when it's your own place you're cleaning. As well as how reluctant you are to step into the bathroom after you've cleaned it because it would only make it dirty.

Suddenly, I begin to empathise with my mother...

4 comments:

Della said...

*teehee* Just get some industrial strength bleach... and a high-powered hose! :D

Faith said...

I totally agree. It is only after I owned my own home did I embrace with fervor, concepts like : dun throw the damp towels in a heap or they'll get black spots; wiping down the wall behind the stove every time I cook so the grease doesn't accumulate to an indelible mark;

and parts of the home like "grout" didn't use to in my vocabulary, now I not only use them but I make sure they're scrubbed clean with a toothbrush and white as liquid paper.

Faith said...

I totally agree. It is only after I owned my own home did I embrace with fervor, concepts like : dun throw the damp towels in a heap or they'll get black spots; wiping down the wall behind the stove every time I cook so the grease doesn't accumulate to an indelible mark;

and parts of the home like "grout" didn't use to in my vocabulary, now I not only use them but I make sure they're scrubbed clean with a toothbrush and white as liquid paper.

The Misery Chick said...

Yeah, Martha. That's the way one deals with vermin and dirt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...