Tuesday 20 May 2008

Clucky?

Can a person think children are cute without being actually defined as being "clucky"?

I have never had intentions of having children. It's not that I have a problem with children, I just don't see myself at the stage of my life where I want or will or can provide for any offspring.

Almost everybody who knows me, knows this.

But for some strange reason, for some people, the fact that I don't want children somehow equates to me hating children.

I don't want children because I don't want the responsibility of having to raise a child, not because I hate their guts or would rather eat them or something. Nothing of that sorts!

I think children are cute little things. I like playing with children and I enjoy being around them. Although I don't really know what to do with them at times, I like children.

I just don't want any of my own.

But somehow, to some people, that just does not make sense to them. And so when I comment on how cute a child is, they immediately go, "oooh, she's getting clucky!"

Must I want children, in order to realise they're cute?

Can I not simply admire from afar?

Why do people assume they know me simply because of something I say, or what I like?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a weird thing isn't it?

Before we had kids, people would see us enjoying a child and make the sly, "You're getting clucky" comment.

We weren't getting clucky. We had always planned to have kids at some point. Just because we were enjoying the company of other people's kids didn't mean that we had changed our ideas on children or when they would fit in with our plans.

kris said...

i know what you mean. i feel your frustration. let us band together and make a club. we'll call is "anti-clucky"

Anonymous said...

U've probably reached the stage whereby people are expecting u to be married, have kids and etc... :P

I am pretty different from you. Children never strike an interest in me until I became a mother myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...